Hello wonderful reader. I am so glad that all two of you are here to read my blog today.
I was just on another blog reading a great post on eating non-processed foods. I made the mistake of reading the comments. Good LORD! You would think that some of the women who replied float three feet above the earth and fart glitter because they are gluten-free, non GMO-eating angels! I had to put in my two cents…just can’t be helped.
See my background is this. I was fat. I was fat for a very long time. I tried lots of cold-tofurkey crash diets that left me feeling more and more angry with myself every time because I could NOT change my life!
Then in 2002 things were right, I was in a good place, and I decided to try it in a completely different manner. I made small changes over time that were sustainable and lead me every single day towards better health. I did not eat a perfect diet. I sometimes had 2 or 3 100 calorie packs of cookies a day. But when compared to my previous diet of 2-3 giant cookies per day, candy every day, it was much better.
I lost 100 pounds making small, sustainable changes. I am still down those 100 pounds. Every year I change more in my diet and my fitness routine and it has led me to a much happier life!
So here are my promises to you:
- I will delete any comment that attacks another person for asking a question or not having a perfect diet.
- I will never say you MUST do this, or you CAN’T do that. Well you can’t kiss your elbow, but other than that you can do what you want and even small changes are applauded.
- I will not take pictures of perfect food because I do not make perfect food. I make good food that is usually healthy.
- I will eat cupcakes and I will share with you. Maybe.
- I will sometimes use *gasp* processed foods if I can’t magically make an ingredient appear from my replicator. Oh wait. Replicator food is probably processed. Damn.
- I will sometimes say things like “damn” and “fart”. I am a high school teacher and almost all of my students are boys. Farts are, sadly, a bigger part of my life than I’d like to admit.
- I will stop into 7-11 sometimes, or run through a drive-thru and get a cone and I will not apologize.
- I will try to find clean replacements for most of the foods I eat.
- I will try to eat non-GMO and organic and even local–but I will not exclusively eat that because sometimes it’s not available and sometimes I don’t know if something is non-GMO.
- I might eat a Larabar. In fact, I will eat a Larabar, even though they are owned by General Mills. That may change some day.
- My choices are my own and you don’t have to like them.
- Your choices are your own and I don’t have to like time. I won’t judge them, however.
- I will brush the dog hair off of photos of food before I take them.
So if you’re looking for some food-angel who is going to deliver you from the evils of processed foods, sorry. Wrong tree. That’s not me. I’m just a 40-something year old woman who likes to run marathons, is trying to make healthier choices for herself and her husband, who teaches full time and runs a fitness/weight loss business part time. I don’t have time or inclination for judgment, and I hope you don’t either.