Seriously this is some good stuff! I had some blueberries, I had some time, I was bored so I thought “I’ll try making jam in the bread machine!” Problem was, I didn’t have enough blueberries, it was the day before payday and I didn’t want to buy more. I had raspberries and blackberries but they would overpower the blueberry taste. Ah ha! I had cherries!
I hate pitting cherries, but for this it was worth it.
4 cups blueberries
2 cups pitted cherries
1/4 cup lime juice
1 tsp lime zest
1 1/3 cups organic sucanat (or sugar)
1 packet of liquid pectin, low sugar type.
- Measure out stuff.
- Roll lime on the counter with the heel of your hand a few times saying, “Give up your juice!” This will make it do just that. The phrasing and gruff voice is important.
- Zest that lime. I didn’t really measure. I also threw in some strips of skin (lime, not mine) because I love the flavor of candied citrus peel.
- Toss it all into the bread machine.
- Set machine to the jam setting.
- Step back and let the magic begin! It’ll take about an hour or so and it will be jam!
Now if you do not have a bread machine, no worries! Just use a heavy pot and your handy dandy arm that hangs from your shoulder. Stir a lot while it comes to a boil. Oh, and I add fruit and sugar first, then pectin when it start bubbling. Don’t let it boil boil, just bubble and then turn it down some and stir often so it doesn’t burn for a long time like an hour or so.
I know this does have the 38 cups of sugar that most jam recipes have. That’s what makes it so awesome! You can TASTE the flavors of the fruit and not just sugar! No fake stuff, either! I did not pre-cook the blueberries. Maybe I wanted to make sure that they stayed mostly whole, or maybe I was being lazy. You’ll never know. The cool thing is, though, that some did stay whole and so when you take a bite of this amazing jam on your super awesome bread you made, you can taste each flavor. And while the 4 cups/2 cups thing was really a fluke–I had four cups of blueberries, I really think it is a perfect combination because the cherries add flavor, don’t over-flavor.
This one is a definite keeper and it almost tastes like I made it so awesome on purpose. I mean, and I spent months working in a lab to make this the perfect jam EVER!