So I planted two zucchini plants and then I spent all summer ignoring them. They apparently love abuse so they returned the favor by birthing giant mutant zucchini. I took one today and ground it into a large bowl.
I stared at that bowl. What to do. What to do. I thought of zucchini cake I used to make in my formerly flabulous days. Then I remembered my figure in those days and decided that I needed to go a little slimmer, a little trimmer.
I set about looking for a recipe, and as I usually do I found one that looked good, but wasn’t quite right, and another that looked good but wasn’t clean, so I adapted and this is the outcome!
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 1/2 cups flour
2 tablespoons flax seed meal
2 tablespoons Chia Seed
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup sugar (pure dried cane)
1/2 cup coconut oil
3 large eggs
1 tsp real vanilla
1 cup plain fat-free yogurt
3 cups zucchini, shredded
10 ounces dark chocolate
- If not using dark chocolate chips, break up the dark chocolate into small chunks.
- Shred the zucchini and set aside and allow to drain a bit.
- Mix the dry ingredients together except sugar.
- Cream together eggs, sugar (note, you can use white sugar but I prefer organic dried cane sugar as it not only is minimally processed, but it adds an amazing flavor like a light brown sugar), and coconut oil. Canola oil or butter can be substituted.
- Add the yogurt and zucchini to the creamed mixture and then slowly mix in the dry.
- Last, add the chocolate and mix by hand.
- Put into prepared muffin tins. Be sure to grease them well!
- Bake at 400 for between 18 and 23 minutes. Watch them because they go from almost ready to ready very fast.
- Remove from muffin tins within five minutes and allow to cool on a rack or they stick to muffin tins.
- Share with friends.